How To Clean Wooden Blocks The Natural Way
Wooden blocks, toy blocks, building blocks - these are the names we use to call them. Wooden blocks are popular toys that come in different sizes, shapes, and colors. They are used to build something which stimulates a person, especially a child’s creativity and so much more. This type of toy is a common educational tool for many kids, not just because of the benefits they get but also because they are durable, safe, and easy to clean. Yes, you got it right. You do not need to brush and scrub it all the time. Keeping them clean is simple, and we are going to show you that in this article. Keep on reading and learn how to clean wooden blocks.
What Are Wooden Blocks?
Before we dive into the process of how to clean wooden blocks, let us first know what wooden blocks are and why you should have them for your kids.
Wooden blocks were first mentioned and used as fun and entertaining, educational tools in a book written by Hugh Plat in 1594. It has been used by writers and educators for centuries and was proven to have many benefits for the child.
There are many reasons why you should consider giving your kids wooden blocks. Here are some of its benefits:
- Ecological – From the name itself, this kind of toy is made of wood, some screws, glue, and water-based paint. It is good for the environment as it doesn’t have plastics such as PVC.
- Durable – Wooden blocks can be used for years since it does not easily bend or break.
- Safe – Wooden blocks do not contain plastic and other harmful substances, making them safe for kids and the environment.
- Educational – This kind of toy helps stimulate a child’s creativity by making their own designs using the blocks. It also helps improve eye and hand coordination. It also allows enhancing a child’s social skills if they play with other kids.
Steps On How To Clean Wooden Blocks
Now that we have learned the advantages of using wooden blocks, we’ll go to our main agendum: learning how to clean wooden blocks, and the best way to cleaning wooden blocks is the natural way.
- Use gentle cleansers in cleaning wooden blocks. You can use mild dish soap and warm water, non-toxic, multi-purpose cleaner diluted with water, or vinegar and water solution (one-part vinegar to ten parts water). Do not use harsh chemicals to clean them since it will dry-out the wood.
- Do not soak the wooden blocks. Doing so may change and warp the blocks with too much moisture. This can result in the blocks being infested with germs and bacteria. Soaking wooden blocks can also result in the wood cracking or damaging the painting or finish on its surface.
- Spray the wooden blocks with any of the mixture mentioned above. Then, wipe them using a sponge or a washcloth and warm water. Let it dry. You can opt to place them under the sun to speed up the drying process and kill germs.
- If there are stains on the blocks, you can use a more concentrated vinegar mixture (one part vinegar, one part water). Spray it on the stained area, then lightly scrub it with a sponge. You can use fine sandpaper if the stain is a bit difficult to remove.
- One important thing to remember on how to clean wooden baby toys is to moisturize them once in a while using mineral oil, olive oil, beeswax, or any other non-toxic oils.
It is vital to keep your kids’ toys safe and clean. This is why learning how to clean wooden blocks is necessary to ensure your children’s health and safety.