When Do Babies Stack Blocks? – Benefits Explained
We all were once kids, and we can all agree that kids love to play all the time. As adults, we know that playing is not just for the child’s entertainment but also for learning. There are several ways to associate playing and learning for kids, just like building and stacking blocks. But when do babies stack blocks? And how does stacking blocks become a learning experience for them? Keep on reading and know at what age can a child stack blocks.
Parents need to know when is the right time for their kids to start playing with building blocks. This is to avoid certain injuries and also to set their expectations.
- Six Months Old
Your baby at this age is too young to be playing with building blocks. However, you can start making a tower using the blocks and let your baby observe it. Your baby may or may not respond, but they may get some bit of knowledge while doing that, like being familiar with the block’s colors and shapes. Just make sure that you pay attention to your baby as they may grab or gnaw on blocks that may result in injuries or them getting hurt.
- Twelve Months Old
At this stage, our little one starts banging items against each other and stack block over the other. Don’t worry if your child does not build anything from the blocks you give them. Remember that one-year-old kids love to bang blocks (or any other items) and enjoy the sound it makes and knock down the stack of blocks you made for them.
- Eighteen Months Old
Your baby is officially a toddler at 18 months, and at this stage, stacking is the name of the game. Your toddler will be able to start stacking three to four blocks, one over the other, with ease. Doing so can help in the cognitive development of the child.
- Two Years Old
Two years old is the ideal stacking blocks age. Your child will be able to build taller stacks of blocks. It’s no surprise as they have improved their stacking skills and improved their eye and hand coordination at this stage. Also, kids this age can already start sorting, so you can make them separate the blocks into groups.
What Are The Benefits Of Playing Blocks
Stacking and building blocks is a fun way for kids to learn. Knowing when do babies stack blocks is as important as knowing its benefits. Here are some of its benefits:
- Helps Enhance Imagination – Children can use their imagination in building and stacking blocks.
- Problem Solving – Playing with blocks helps develop a child’s problem-solving and reasoning skills as they consciously work to develop solutions.
- Mathematics – Building blocks come in various sizes, shapes, and colors. This allows children to learn by comparing the shapes and sizes and creating something based on the blocks’ measurements.
- Physical Development – Playing with blocks helps develop eye and hand coordination as well as spatial awareness of children as they reach, lift, move, and build with blocks.
- Self-Esteem – Building and creating with blocks can also improve one’s self-esteem as they know and realize that they have independent ideas and experience a sense of achievement with their creations.
Playing is part of a child’s growing and learning process. It is necessary for parents to know the right games for their kids and at what age it best suits them. Knowing when babies stack blocks are essential as it is an important key to make their child develop and learn some valuable skills and knowledge that can be useful as they get older.